Garage door maintenance tips
Modern garage doors are extremely well made and are designed to help protect your car – and everything else you keep in the garage – in terms of both security, as well as protection from the weather. Looking after your garage door is therefore an essential task to add to your household checklist. This task doesn’t need to take long, but if you do it regularly enough, you could save yourself a lot of time and frustration in the future by preventing things going wrong.
Here are the Access Garage Door top tips on looking after your garage door.
Before you start
- Tell everyone in your household that you’ll be checking the garage door. You can avoid a possible injury if they know not to open or close the door whilst you’re inspecting it.
- Read all the labels on the liquids and lubricants that you’re planning to use to make 100% sure they’re the right ones for the job. Getting it wrong could end up in permanent damage to your door.
Cleaning and maintenance
- Ideally, twice a year, or every 2,000 door cycles, treat the springs, spindles, tracks, hinges and latches with a squirt of WD-40 (other multi-use spray lubricants are also available). However, be really careful not to allow any to drip onto the face of the door.
- Do not oil the track runners, but do keep them clean and free of obstacles.
- If the rollers or hinges become stuck because of rust, try dabbing a bit of paraffin on them and rub it off with a soft cloth.
- Clean your door with a washing up liquid solution. It’s important to always use a soft cloth or sponge, never use anything abrasive because it will permanently damage the surface.
- Keep the door clear of caustic or acidic substances on the door – bird droppings are a particular problem because of their acidity.
- If you live on the coast, clean the salt off the door on a regular basis in order to prevent corrosion.
- If you garage door is made from wood, inspect the paintwork or varnish to make sure it’s properly weatherproof.
These top tips will ensure your garage doors remain in a good condition for a long time. Contact the team for more information on 0800 716 569